Tuesday 29 July 2014

Sore legs

Phew.  Did it.  95 miles last Sunday to Shoreham-on Sea and back.  It was mainly flat but that doesn't take away from how chuffed I am to have done such a distance.  It also doesn't take away how sore my legs are even two days later.  Glad I have booked a sports massage for this Friday.

The ride was glorious - as most of the rides this Summer have been.  We only had a light rain shower for 20 minutes and that was welcome on a warm day.  As we were the "social" group of the three rides on the day we took our time, but still managed to do 13.1mph, which is not bad with a mixed group with lots of stops. It was a long day - we left at 8am and only got back home at 6pm.  Of course we had a nice lunch in Shoreham-on-Sea and a stop for a pint of orange juice and lemonade 10 miles from home.  In fact the lunch was hilarious as everything we asked for they didn't have and when I asked for fries they said they couldn't do an individual portion only a bucket!

I learned a lot on Sunday about fuelling and hydration which I am sure I will use well during Ride London. One particularly useful piece of food advice is that the cheese straws are delicious from the village store in Peaselake.
Woking Cycle Club at Peaselake, where the cheese straws are delicious

Now onwards to Sunday 10th.  I am excited and nervous in equal amounts about the event.  I have never done any event before.  I will only believe it when I am well on the way.

Before then I am meeting more of Beating Bowel Cancer's Ride London team this Saturday to do the hills again - wish us luck. Then another Woking CC social ride before gently tapering next week until the big day. I am also looking forward to attending the Ride London Cycle Show at the Excel Centre to register and pick up my rider numbers.  I hope to meet a lot of our team there.

If you wish to donate you can via www.justgiving.com/Mark-Flannagan3.  or you can text Flan51 and your amount to 70070

No comments:

Post a Comment