Monday 14 July 2014

Lots going on

There is so much to tell you, so bear with me while I try and squeeze it all in coherently and sensibly.

First, I am very touched at so many positive comments about my 100 miles100names plan (thanks to wonderful supporter Dafydd for the idea).  If you remember, the idea is that I ride each mile of Ride London for a named person, i.e. someone we have lost, a survivor, or someone undergoing treatment.  Each mile will be both a tribute and a reminder why we need to beat bowel cancer.  I have decided that I would like 99 names and mile 100 will be dedicated to all those who will be diagnosed with bowel cancer in the year to come. A reminder that our fight to beat bowel cancer goes on.  See below for how to let me have your name, or how to donate for that last mile.
The names so far are: Anne Carlin; Taryn (“Smithers”);Gail Allen; Philip Willingham; Bill Bonfield; Beverly Jackson; John Hepworth; Effie Macdonald; Geraint Jones; Hannah Berry;Hazel Elkamouri; Alison Selfe; Alison Michell; Tony Levy; Jane Bardsley; Stewart Coxe; Susan Wilde; John Anton;; Lisa Almond; Nia Jones; Ann Cole; Rose Sloper; Sally Tuxworth; Dafydd Farr-Jones; Susan Hill; Teresa Dealessi; Toni Millard, Ethel Randles; Billy Randles, Carly Wilton.

Canon Hillas
The second item on my list is a giant loo roll!  As part of the City of London Lord Mayor's Appeal last Friday we were able to reach out to the public in the City with our giant loo roll outside St Paul's Cathedral. The Lord Mayor, Fiona Woolf, was there to present us with a cheque for £125,000 and one of the Canons of St Paul's, Tricia Hillas, came to to show her support.  She left wearing a bum badge on her cassock.
A great day with over 1,000 leaflets handed out, many conversations had and a few individuals with possible symptoms directed to go and see their GP. If just one life was saved as a result it is worth it.

Top of Leith Hill
Now, back to the Ride London training.  A good weekend, if not the greatest distance - I did 40 then 50 miles.  But, on Saturday I met up with some of our Beating Bowel Cancer team and, along with members of Woking Cycle Club, we did part of the route, including Leith Hill.  A very early start, 7am, but a glorious day and a great ride.  Only downside was taking my eye off the road and hitting a pot hole resulting in a fall giving me a few bruises, a stiff wrist and a bumped head.  Don't worry, the bike is alright!  It was lovely to meet some of the team who are all raring to go for the day itself.  I really am grateful for their enthusiastic support.  So, thanks Lee, Keith and Jon.  Less than four weeks to go now.  In fact in four weeks my legs will be sore and I will be looking for my next challenge,

And, in more news, I have chosen a bike.  It is a Giant Defy 1 and I hope to pick it up within the next week or so so that I can train on it and then do Ride London on it.  It is a gorgeous machine and perfect for a novice like me.  Take a look: Defy 1.

100miles100names
Please let me have names by email mark.flannagan@beatingbowelcancer.org or via Twitter (@MarkFlannCEO) or via Beating Bowel Cancer's Facebook page. If you to donate you can via www.justgiving.com/Mark-Flannagan3.  or you can text Flan51 and your amount to 70070

No comments:

Post a Comment