Friday 25 July 2014

Almost there

I am very grateful to everyone for providing names for my 100 miles 100 names list for Ride London. I have 80 and look forward to receiving more. Every name has a story. Some are heartbreaking and I wish everyone who has lost someone my deepest sympathy and promise that we will do all we can to beat bowel cancer in every way.  To those still facing bowel cancer my message is that we are here for you. We provide support and information and we raise awareness so that others get the message that bowel cancer can be diagnosed early and lives can be saved.

The list of names now is as follows: Anne Carlin, Taryn "Smythers"' Gail Allen, Philip Willingham, Bill Bonfield, Beverly Jackson, John Hepworth, Effie Macdonald, Geraint Jones, Hannah Berry, Hazel Elkamouri, Alison Selfe, Alison Michell, Tony Levy, Jane Bardsley, Stewart Coxe, Susan Wilde, John Anton, Lisa Almond, Nia Jones, Ethel Randles, Anne Cole, Heather Spooner, Rose Sloper, Sally Tuxworth, Dafydd Farr-Jones, Susan Hill, Teresa Dealessi, Toni Millard, Mary Woolnough, Bill Luff, Olive Bennett, Melanie McGarry, The "Bum Bandits", Paul Bradbury, Matthew Stockdale, Elizabeth Fountain, Ian Fountain, Nick Busby, Lynda Leach, Steve Smith ("Smiffy"), Billy Randles, Len Miller, Pat Morton, Carmen, Ke'hley, Lucy Edwards, Margery Hunter, Tracey Bushell, Avril Williams, Stan Williams, Andy Higginson, Chris Garner, Liz Torr's mother and father in law, Myra Beckwith, Patricia Johnston, Valerie Johnson, David Hogan, Maxine Gould, Andrea Barlow, Pat Gravell, Ruth Spencer, Jim Marks, Cheryl Marks, Tim Brennan, Bob Johnson, Francis P. Rooney, Kim Cooper, June Watkins, Johanna Wathan, Kathleen Cannon, Elisabeth Strong, Keith Wiggins, Carly Wilton, Genie Henley, Mark Barnard, All those on the Beating Bowel Cancer Forum, David Craton, Peter Bainbridge, Leo McGill.  I have added two of my own, my Uncle and a friend who died of bowel cancer aged 68 and 27 respectively. Bowel cancer can affect anyone at any age.

I would like just 19 more names to reach the 99 I want to pay tribute to. And from that point you can also donate for the last mile, which I will ride for all those who will get bowel cancer in the year to come. I know it shouldn't be about the money and if you have a name and can't donate that is fine, just let me have the name. But if you can, think about this. Bowel cancer is a huge problem, affecting thousands each year - the same numbers pretty much as prostate cancer. Yet our income as a charity is small. We need to grow so we can do more and get the message out that people need to be aware. We need to save lives and help people facing the UK's second biggest cancer killer.

So, back to the training. I think it is going well. I have done the hills including Leith Hill three times. The last time I did Leith the proper route was blocked off for road repairs so we went up another way. That was brutal! Apparently the route was the toughest one to do, so feeling chuffed about that. My nephew  joined us on the day and yes he is wearing a full Team Sky kit.
He is allowed as he works for Sky and is a member of their staff cycling club.  Still, we did take the mickey as all cyclists have to when they see anyone wearing Team Sky kit.  

This weekend we are riding down to Littlehampton and back, which is 90 miles. We will be going over the South Downs which will present some challenging hills. So, completing this ride well will hopefully prove that I can do the 100 on 10th August.  The next significant outing after this Sunday will be on 2nd August, when I will meet a few of our Beating Bowel Cancer team to do a final recce of the hills.  Looking forward to that. I love meeting our team. Each has their story to tell and their commitment to our charity is wonderful.

Nearly there. Just a little over two weeks. Getting nervous and excited. Still can't believe I am doing this. 

Please let me have names by email mark.flannagan@beatingbowelcancer.org or via Twitter (@MarkFlannCEO) or via Beating Bowel Cancer's Facebook page. If you to donate you can via www.justgiving.com/Mark-Flannagan3.  or you can text Flan51 and your amount to 70070

No comments:

Post a Comment