Thursday 3 July 2014

Remembering those we have lost


It is difficult to write this post because it talks about remembering those we have lost. There are days when I think about the people I had almost daily contact with and I’m caught short by the realisation that they aren't going to tweet, text, message or call me.

Staff at Beating Bowel Cancer talk to patients and their families every day.  Many of them have advanced cancer. Being there for them and helping them make sense of what is happening to them are just two of the many reasons why it’s vital that Beating Bowel cancer exists.  Every member of the team feels it very deeply when we lose someone. Quite truthfully and horribly people die and we mourn them. The fact that it happens too frequently does not mean it gets less painful. It is not for any of us "just a job".

As Chief Executive of a cancer charity I feel it is my responsibility to remember every day that our purpose is to both be there when people need us and to make bowel cancer a rare and not a common cancer killer. This is not for me an abstract motivation.  In the four years I have had the privilege of leading the charity my view on life has been changed by meeting individuals facing the bleakest of prospects.  Each one has shown me that dealing with something that is normally unthinkable, our death, is often done with dignity and humour.

That is why remembering individuals who are no longer with us is, for me, a personal tribute to their life.  I discussed this with colleagues and it was only then that I learned about the Much Loved website that allows tributes to be made to those we have lost.  I am pleased that we have now joined this and hope that this online service will help those who are mourning.  It allows you to leave messages and fond memories of loved ones. It is just one thing we can do to help remember people we have lost.

In tribute to those people, and for everyone who has been affected by bowel cancer, I’ll be taking part in Ride London on 10 August, cycling 100 miles to raise much needed funds for our work. If you can, please be generous and donate via www.justgiving.com/Mark-Flannagan3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment