Monday 4 August 2014

Time to taper

Phew.  Nearly there.  After last Sunday's long, 95 miles, ride to Shoreham-on-Sea I was conscious not to listen to my legs and taper too soon.  So, I did 12 miles, 46 miles, 51 miles and 43 miles.  Now I can taper! This week I will simply take the bike out for a spin on Wednesday and Friday.  I will try and get as much sleep as I can.  And I will carbohydrate load like mad!

It has been a good week.  On Wednesday I took a half day's holiday and met some of Woking Cycle Club to pop out to Box Hill and we had fun enjoying the sun and each other's company.  Saturday I was delighted to meet Niamh and Marc from our Beating Bowel Cancer Ride London team and, again with some of Woking CC, we "did the hills" - Newlands, Leith and Box. It was great to do them in one go and it was even better to think that the next time would be for real.  Leith was as tough as I have come to expect and I did it, according to Strava, in my quickest time.  That was despite my chain coming off near the start.
With Niamh and Marc at the top of Box Hill - the three hills done
Yes, I am nervous about Sunday.  But I am sure it will be fine. Everything I have learnt tells me that the day is so fantastic that everyone enjoys it and the atmosphere helps your legs do the distance.  My legs are tired after last week's rides but the rest this week will get them ready to be punished again on Sunday.  All I have to do is keep peddling.

If you wish to donate you can via www.justgiving.com/Mark-Flannagan3.  or you can text Flan51 and your amount to 70070

No comments:

Post a Comment