Thursday 14 August 2014

Keep on pedalling

"Are you going to keep it up?" is the question I have been asked most after last Sunday's Ride London.  The second most asked question is "Did you enjoy it?".  The answer to the first is "Definitely".  To the second is "Not a lot, but I'm very glad I did it".

Riding 86 miles (not the 100 planned, as they closed the hills on very valid safety grounds), in what Chris Boardman called "Biblical" rain, was one of the experiences of my life.  It doesn't compare with the birth of my children, but at least this time I did all of the work!

I cannot ever forget being blase about standing in the open spaces of Richmond Park in a thunderstorm, holding a metal bike in my hands and not giving it a second thought.  And then being happy to set off again and ride through two or more foot deep puddles. Wet feet?  Not a problem.  Cold wet sprays of water in the face from the rider in front? Of course, carry on. Another 60 miles of it? Bring it on.  All in the cause of fulfilling Rule 9 in cycling (Google Velominati Rules to understand why that is significant).

Now the cycling shoes have dried out, the following are the lessons I have learnt:

  • Training is everything.  It is not just about fitness, or learning to do the hills.  It is about putting yourself in a place where everything is familiar and things happen automatically.  On Sunday I found I just did things by second nature and was able to ignore tiredness, what few hills there were, and the need to stop for fuel because I had learned lessons over the Summer.
  • Speed/pace is important to me.  While I was delighted with my time of 6:17 (5:44 moving time) I now wonder whether I could have done better if that is what I had worked on in training.  Of course, my focus was on simply doing the distance on the day, but...maybe...
  • Smile for the camera.  There is not one picture, official or otherwise, that is any good of me on my bike. Either I look too fat (I know, lose more weight) or I am grimacing/have a determined look (you choose which).  A nice photo for the record would have been nice. That said, the one below with my family post event is a nice memory.
  • Cheering crowds make you feel like a hero.  Towards the end the crowds were there and vocal. Riding up Whitehall to cheers and shouts was absolutely astounding and made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  If you were there - thank you.
  • There is nothing like a good sports massage.  Early on Wednesday morning I awoke in agony as my neck muscles went into spasm in a delayed reaction to six hours on a bike.  Not nice and very alarming. Today a lunchtime deep tissue massage looks like fixing it.  Worth every penny.
  • Plan your next event.  I am keeping going.  There is a 69 mile ride in October I am going to do.  Then there is a London to Paris in the offing next Spring and a new ride in Wales worth doing in June 2015.  And, of course, Ride London 2015 - ballot opens 18th August.
So, time to get back on the bike.  Will aim to do 20 or so miles this evening and on Sunday we are riding out to do the hills we missed on Sunday.  I am looking forward to it.

My fundraising total so far is amazing, but if you wish to help continue our work - helping those with bowel cancer and beating bowel cancer through raising awareness you can still do so via: My Just Giving Page

Partner, children, nephew and his girlfriend - the family

No comments:

Post a Comment