Monday 11 August 2014

Done

Phew. Did it. In a tropical storm. With flooded roads and very soggy spectators watching.

The downside was they cut out the hills which means I did 86 miles. It was a sensible decision to not do the hills as the conditions would have been desperately dangerous. Coming down off Leith Hill is dodgy at the best of times. But during a storm it would have been reckless. So, well done the ride organisers.

Sorry I couldn't ride each mile for the names. If it compensates I plan to ride the hills this weekend and do so in memory of those names. I hope you understand. 

The ride was one of the best things I ever did. I can't say it was enjoyable. Who would? But I am glad I did it. Yes, I will do it again next year. Along, I hope, with a London to Paris ride at some point. Join me?  

My official time was 6:17:42 and my move time, that is time on bike, was 5:44:56. Average speed was 14.9mph with a max speed of 31.8mph. Overall I was very consistent on pace, and speeded up towards the end. My legs, the calves, were very tired at the beginning and it was a real grind keeping going, but after half way, with end in sight, I took heart from the spectators and peddled harder. It was then that I enjoyed it most. And the best bit was coming through Whitehall, past the Houses of Parliament with the crowds cheering. And yes, I did get a lump in my throat across the finish line. Any water in my eyes though must only have been raindrops! 

Thank you for all your wonderful support. Thank you for all your wonderful donations. I have raised over £5,200, which is amazing and will really help our vital work.

So, who is up for going to Paris on a bike next Spring? X


No comments:

Post a Comment