Thursday 7 August 2014

Thank you

I want to say a massive thank you to the very many people who have been so fantastic and supportive in my training and my fundraising. When you say thank you there is always a risk, certainty even, that you will miss someone out and, therefore, offend. If you are that person - scream at me!  I don't want to miss anyone at all.  You have all been fantastic and I have felt incredibly supported.

Here goes then with my thanks to...
  1. Every single one of you who donated to my fundraising effort. I have raised almost £5,000, which is amazing and is the equivalent of running our Nurse Helpline for more than three weeks.  I know lots of people ask for sponsorship for lots of events so don't think for a minute I don't appreciate you donating to our cause.  It means a lot.
  2. It also means a lot that I will ride on 10th August in tribute to many individual names and also do the last mile dedicated to the unnamed who will get bowel cancer in the year to come.  Every name is a story and each means a lot to me.
  3. Pete Digger deserves a special mention, generously lending me his road bike (it is a good one) and therefore starting me along the road to not just the 100 miles, but also to a healthier life as I am now a committed and enthusiastic cyclist.  Pete also generously donated to my Just Giving page and has even run a marathon for Beating Bowel Cancer.  He is a great supporter.
  4. Another person I couldn't have done without is one of our team members, Andy Stevens.  He lives just a few miles from me and fantastically took me out on rides early in my training.  He was the one who got me up Box Hill first time and he has continued to provide encouragement and support.
  5. Woking Cycle Club were also key to my progress. Turning up in June to their regular Sunday ride was nerve racking as I expected lycra clad time trialists expecting me to keep up.  Of course they were nothing like that. Everyone in the Club is friendly, keen to simply get everyone cycling whatever their ability and they have been ready with encouragement and advice that matched my own progress.
  6. TomTom who responded to a request for GPS device (their sports watch) that would help me track my progress.  Very kind of them and very generous.  And it helped a lot.
  7. Fiona at Wiggle who has a close family connection to bowel cancer and kindly sent me some kit and other useful stuff.  It is nice when people want to help.
  8. Moyra, from Lamberts Healthcare, who was very kind and generous in providing nutrition advice - and protein powder to revive my tired muscles!
  9. The Beating Bowel Cancer staff who generously and wonderfully joined together to donate to my Just Giving page.  They have been fantastic and enthusiastic in their support of their CEO taking on a challenge and then boring them silly with it!  They are a great, dedicated team - the best in my view.
  10. And, finally, our Beating Bowel Cancer Ride London team, every one of whom is a hero and have my gratitude for their support.  Looking forward to joining you on the day.
Everyone has really helped me during my effort to get from unfit MAMIL to being a proper cyclist.  The event is this Sunday and what happens next is entirely up to me.

And if you still wish to donate, and help Beating Bowel Cancer help more people, you can at https://www.justgiving.com/Mark-Flannagan3/ Wouldn't it be amazing if, with your help, we could reach £5,000 in donations?

See you at the finish line (gulp!).

Mark X

No comments:

Post a Comment