Monday 2 June 2014

Time to step it up

It feels different. I am beginning to feel like a "proper" cyclist, and not just someone out on a bike trying to keep going for as long as possible.  It is thanks to a very nice man called Andy, one of our Ride London team, who has taken me out twice now - first for 37 miles and second for 29 miles with a few hills.  His patience and advice have been very welcome and it has been a tremendous reassurance to have his confidence that I will do this.

And, after riding 29 miles last Saturday, I still managed to meet up for the first time with Woking Cycle Club on Sunday morning.  I had to get up at 6am to be breakfasted, digested and there for an 8am start.  It was hard work motivating myself to get up and out. I hadn't slept that well or for very long and had a cold. I am delighted I got off my butt and did it though.  It was glorious.  The Club are really friendly and very welcoming.  There were quite a few new members of all backgrounds so I felt very comfortable.  The ride turned out to be a slow one (10.28mph), which is usual for the new members day.  They also have faster (up to 16mph) rides, not quite for me - yet.  We rode to Esher and stopped at 21 miles at G!RO Cafe for coffee and cake, meeting up with the faster groups.

The second half was back off into the Surrey countryside, seeing places I had never been to despite living in the area for over 8 years. There are some very nice houses tucked away down those country lanes.  There were a few hills that would have left me breathless just weeks ago, but I sailed up them.  At points I was able to buddy up and chat on stretches, which gave me a chance to ask questions about Ride London logistics and about Leith Hill.  The consensus on Leith Hill was there are no tricks, just endure, and perhaps fit better gears!  We ended back up where we started, Woking Leisure Centre, having done 37+ miles, which meant 44 miles for me door to door - hooray!

So, the plan now is to move the schedule up and, with light training during the week, see if I can tackle 50 miles this Saturday - taking my own pace and learning about fuelling up as I go.  Hopefully I can find someone to come with me.  Then I will definitely be up again Sunday to meet the Woking Cycle Club team for another lovely ride - and cake!  And I can't wait.  I love it.

I am taking part in Ride London on 10 August, aiming to raise £10,000 for Beating Bowel cancer's work.  I would be delighted if you could show your support with a donation on my Just Giving page.  Thank you. X

No comments:

Post a Comment