Monday 9 June 2014

Making progress - not long now



What a great weekend's cycling.  Here am I with Andy at the top of Box Hill, completed as part of a 45 mile ride Friday evening.  Clever Andy (in the Beating Bowel Cancer top) didn't tell me we were going up until we were almost there.  He knows how to manage me!  I know Box Hill isn't the hardest on the Ride London route but doing it felt like a real achievement.  And doing it on a gorgeous evening felt life affirming.  By the way, I will remember May and June for the weather being pretty good as I have been on some glorious bike rides in the Surrey countryside.


Sunday was the second Woking Cycle Club social ride.  The "social" refers to the pace, which was less than 11mph.  I chose this because I wanted to enjoy myself after Friday and couldn't be certain I would keep up with a ride of 15mph.  We went out to Farnham and back via some lovely country roads.  The hills are much less troublesome when you are taking your cue from others also pedalling up them.  We took the half way break at a lovely country life centre with, of course, cake!  Overall, door to door, it was 40 miles at a very easy going pace allowing time to chat, enjoy the scenery and concentrate on gears going up hills.

Next stop is to get the miles up to or beyond 60 and to get those Hills on route done.  There is a ride of 65 miles taking in much of the Ride London route on 29th June and I will see if I am up for it in a week or so. On 27th July the Cycle Club are doing a seaside run of 100 miles there and back. Initially I thought that would be a good thing to do two weeks short of Ride London, but now I wonder whether it is wise to do a full 100 so close, particularly as a novice.  Too much can go wrong.  So I may just do the outward leg and train it home with others who are also so minded.

All in all, feeling fitter, sleeping better, enjoying the cycling and definitely want to continue beyond 10th August.  I will, of course, need to get a permanent bike.  Time to buy a Lottery ticket!

In the meantime, there is just nine weeks to go until the Ride London 100.  Eek!!!!

I am taking part in Ride London on 10 August, aiming to raise £10,000 for Beating Bowel cancer's work.  I would be delighted if you could show your support with a donation on my Just Giving page.  Thank you. X

No comments:

Post a Comment