Wednesday 5 August 2015

Wow. What a ride. What a great day.


Ride done
I did it.  On Sunday is took part in Ride London - 100 miles in glorious sunshine with 25,000 other riders.

It was amazing.  I was part of a massive 175 strong Beating Bowel Cancer team. We had colorectal consultants, nurses, patients, family of those with and those lost to bowel cancer.  All were pushing themselves to help beat bowel cancer.  It was a very great privilege to ride alongside so many wonderful people.  Thank you all.

Personally, I did it in under six hours, with an average speed of around 16.7 miles per hour.  That's my fastest ever ride.  The crowds were so supportive and really helped us speed along.  The route was gorgeous, taking in the sights.  Speeding round Trafalgar Square was an experience, and then out to the Surrey countryside where the view from Box Hill is something. My legs held up pretty well, until mile 80, when the fact that I had only an hour's sleep the night before resulted in a lot of whinging from me to my ride partner.  Then I got to the second and third Beating Bowel Cancer cheer points and my adrenaline kicked in again thanks to the huge cheers they gave us. I got goose bumps and felt really very emotional.  So proud of the staff and volunteers who stood for hours screaming at the top of their lung capacity to support us riders.

I rode with a friend, Clair, and for a good chunk with my nephew, Chris (that's us three in the ride selfie below).  It was lovely just riding and chatting and enjoying the company.  I also saw lots of the Beating Bowel Cancer team riders along the way.  Couldn't miss them as there were so many - about 175.  Also the team jersey has now had stripes added to the sleeves, making it easier to spot and making us all look like the Where's Wally character! 


It was fantastic to finish.  Coming up Whitehall and down the Mall to cheering crowds really makes you feel very special. And I had the loveliest welcome from the team at the post ride reception. Again, made me feel emotional!!!  Our wonderful Patron, Matt Dawson, was there too.  He was there when I started as he set us off as an official starter for Ride London.  Funnily enough he managed to overtake me and get back before me!  It was good to see him and thank him for his support.

With our Patron Matt Dawson
So, onwards.  2,346 miles done towards my 3,000 mile goal.  Next I have a 77 mile challenge with staff from Waitrose in Yorkshire.  There will be some steep climbing on that one.  Then riding London to Paris from 10 to 14 September, which is 280 miles.

It's all to help Beating Bowel Cancer continue its work - supporting everyone affected by bowel cancer, campaigning for change and raising awareness.

All support/donations very welcome.  You can do so here: https://www.justgiving.com/Mark-Flannagan5

No comments:

Post a Comment