Wednesday 19 August 2015

The final push

The miles are adding up
I am within sight.  Just over 2,400 miles cycled this year and next month I will cycle from London to Paris, which will add another 280 miles towards my target of 3,000 miles cycled this year.

It has been, and remains, an effort.  The rides I have been doing have averaged 45 miles per ride but that masks some pretty long rides, including 100 miles in Ride London earlier this month.  My weekends and many evenings have been taken up with riding, because getting the miles in the saddle matters.

And, the elevation gain this year means I have ridden the equivalent of six times up Everest!

So, I want to thank everyone for their support so far.  The donations to my Just Giving page are always gratefully received: https://www.justgiving.com/Mark-Flannagan5.

I also want to talk about my London to Paris ride.  It is 280 miles and, thanks to support last year and this, I have 100 names I will remember on this ride - each one being a special person linked in some way to bowel cancer.  That leaves 180 miles left to fill.  So, please, let me have a name and I will ride a mile for that name on my journey between 10th and 14th September.  I will take all the names with me and promise to take time to reflect on each name during my rides.  It will provide a daily reminder of why Beating Bowel Cancer needs to go on working hard to support everyone affected by bowel cancer and to campaign for a world where bowel cancer is beaten.

You can give me a name by donating and mentioning the name you want remembered via: https://www.justgiving.com/Mark-Flannagan5.  Or you can email me mark.flannagan@beatingbowelcancer.org.

I very much look forward to receiving more names.  It will be my honour to ride a mile for them,

Mark X

No comments:

Post a Comment