Thursday 5 February 2015

Cycling to Kazakhstan


Okay, a slightly misleading blog title.  I am not actually cycling to Kazakhstan.  But this year I will attempt to cycle 3,000 miles, or just under 5,000 km.  That is like going all the way to that central Asian, land locked country.  It is all to raise funds for Beating Bowel Cancer - the support and campaigning charity for everyone affected by bowel cancer. I hope I can make a go of it. Last year I got on a road bike for the first time and did the Ride London 100 in August.  I have set myself an even greater challenge this year and, in taking on this challenge, I want to raise £2 for every mile cycled - that's £6,000 to help Beating Bowel Cancer in its vital work.

I was very grateful for your support last year when I took part in the Prudential Ride London.  I was very touched by all the messages I received.  I was also touched to hear your stories about how bowel cancer affects you and why supporting the work of Beating Bowel cancer is important to you.  But, if I said I was simply going to do it again and wouldn't it be good if you could support me I might be told "so what, you like cycling now, where's the challenge in that?".  I would tend to agree.  So, my challenge this year has to be greater, just as each year Beating Bowel Cancer has to have bigger ambitions to beat bowel cancer.

The challenge won't be easy.  To achieve my goal of 3,000 miles in training and events I will have to be out consistently on my bike quite a few days each week this year - pretty much every day as the nights get lighter.  Doing specific events will help me focus, as I couldn't do them without training. So, I am taking part in, at least: the Woking Sportive in March (85 miles); the Wales Velothon in June (75 miles); a Summer Solstice ride in June with my cycle club (102 miles); the Prudential Ride London in August (100 miles); and I will ride from London to Paris in September (280 miles).  It is all to raise vital funds for Beating Bowel Cancer.  I want to fund our excellent nurses, our information booklets, our events bringing together bowel cancer patients and our campaigns to beat bowel cancer.

So, can I have your support this year?  I will need it.  £6,000 is the equivalent of £2 per mile.  So, how many miles will you sponsor me to cycle?  I expect to be fitter and slimmer by the end of the year - and I will also know that I have helped Beating Bowel Cancer to help more people.

Please show your support by donating via my Just Giving - Cycling to Kazakhstan - page and please share it with others.



No comments:

Post a Comment